On first listen, the music of They Might Be Giants can come across as lighthearted, even glib. Don’t be fooled.
Our first release of 2019 is the new single by Astral Drive, out today!
“Love Is Real” is taken from the self-titled album and re-mixed for radio by Dave Bascombe. The 3-track singles includes 2 new recordings; a cover of Todd Rundgren’s ‘A Dream Goes On Forever’ and an acoustic version of ‘Wishing I Could Change The World’.
Astral Drive is songwriter/producer, Phil Thornalley’s vision of a long lost album from the 1970s. Writing, singing and playing all the instruments in the style of 70’s stalwarts Todd Rundgren and Stevie Wonder.
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS RETURN TO EUROPE WITH BRAND NEW “EVENING WITH” SHOW
Brand New Single The Communists Have the Music Arrives 21st Sept.
35-years deep, Brooklyn’s freewheeling local heroes They Might Be Giants remain rock’s most original perpetual-motion machine; creating startling new music and performing shows packed with spontaneity and undeniable joy across the globe. Now they are bringing a brand new show, “An Evening with They Might Be Giants” featuring two big sets to Europe and beyond. The show includes all-time favourites, along with an ever-shifting rotation of fresh rarities spanning their epic career, and spur-of-the-moment improvisations that will delight even their exhausted road crew. And now for the first time beyond NYC, they’re joined on tour with show-stopping trumpet genius Curt Ramm (Nile Rogers, Bruce Springsteen).
Today the band shares a new single via Dial-A-Song titled “The Communists Have the Music” which is an instant TMBG classic with the melodic hooks the band is renowned for. Listen to it twice and the song will play on in your head for days. A full production video is in the works, with the animation team lead by David Plunkert (the award-winning illustrator of the notorious New Yorker Trump/KKK sailboat cover). The track will be available digitally everywhere 21st September, backed with “I’ve Been Seeing Things”.
This year alone the band released their 20th full-length album I Like Fun to rave reviews, played 50 US cities demolishing stages to mostly sold out rooms, was nominated for a Tony award for their song “I’m Not A Loser”, posted 20 additional songs on their Dial-A-Song service, was the featured guest on WTF with Marc Maron, and performed on CONAN (+ special web-exclusive)!
And now they are returning to Europe!
20 SEP Leeds, Brudenell Social Club – SOLD OUT
21 SEP Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club – SOLD OUT
22 SEP Cambridge, UK @ Cambridge Junction
23 SEP Bristol, UK @ SWX
25 SEP Munich, DE @ Ampere
26 SEP Antwerp, BE @ De Roma
27 SEP Amsterdam, NL Paradiso
28 SEP Berlin, DE @ Columbia Theater
29 SEP Hamburg, DE @ Knust – SOLD OUT
01 OCT Koln, DE @ Luxor – SOLD OUT
03 OCT London, UK @ Barbican Centre
04 OCT Manchester, UK @ Academy 2 Manchester
05 OCT Edinburgh, UK @ The Queen’s Hall
06 OCT Dublin, IE @ Button Factory – SOLD OUT
All shows are strictly for ages 14+ or beyond. For direct links to all shows go to http://www.theymightbegiants.com/shows
The Posies massive 30th anniversary tour hits Europe this month with 39 dates from August through ’till November! They will be touring with the Frosting on the Beater line-up featuring Dave Fox and Mike Musburger.
- Fri AUG 31 Vlieland, NETHERLANDS Into the Great Wide Open Festival (sold out)
- Sat SEP 01 Hoogwoud, NETHERLANDS Zomerpop Festival
- Sun SEP 02 Larmer Tree Gardens, UK End of the Road Festival
- Fri SEP 28 Palma de Mallorca, SPAIN Casa Planas
- Sat SEP 29 Barcelona, SPAIN Upload
- Sun SEP 30 Zaragoza, SPAIN La Lata de Bombillas
- Mon OCT 01 Cordoba, SPAIN Hangar Cordoba
- Tue OCT 02 Cadiz SPAIN Aulario de la Bomba
- Wed OCT 03 Granada, SPAIN Lemon Rock
- Thu OCT 04 Valencia, SPAIN 16 Toneladas
- Fri OCT 05 Madrid, SPAIN Sala Caracol
- Sat OCT 06 Pontevedra, SPAIN Teatro Principal (matinee)
- Sat OCT 06 Lugo, SPAIN Clavicembalo (evening)
- Sun OCT 07 Azpeitia, SPAIN San Augustin Kulturgunea
- Tue OCT 09 Paris, FRANCE La Maroquinerie
- Wed OCT 10 Utrecht, NETHERLANDS Tivoli
- Thu OCT 11 Groningen, NETHERLANDS Vera
- Fri OCT 12 Heerlen, NETHERLANDS Poppodium Nieuwe Nor
- Sat OCT 13 Alkmaar, NETHERLANDS Podium Victorie
- Sun OCT 14 Hengelo, NETHERLANDS Metropol
- Tue OCT 16 Düsseldorf, GERMANY Zakk
- Wed OCT 17 Kortrijk, BELGIUM Wilde Westen
- Thu OCT 18 Mechelen, BELGIUM Cultuurcentrum Mechelen
- Fri OCT 19 London, UK The Garage
- Sat OCT 20 Leeds, UK Brudenell Social Club
- Sun OCT 21 Glasgow, UK King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Tue OCT 23 Manchester, UK The Deaf Institute
- Thu OCT 25 Bremen, GERMANY Tower
- Fri OCT 26 Hamburg, GERMANY Häkken
- Sat OCT 27 Berlin, GERMANY Berghain Kantine
- Mon OCT 29 Helsinki, FINLAND Savoy Theatre
- Wed OCT 31 Larvik, NORWAY Sanden Kafe at Kulturhuset Bølgen
- Thu NOV 01 Stavanger, NORWAY Folken
- Fri NOV 02 Bergen, NORWAY Madam Felle
- Sat NOV 03 Trondheim, NORWAY Teaterhuset Avant Garden
- Sun NOV 04 Oslo, NORWAY John Dee
- Tue NOV 06 Gothenburg, SWEDEN Pustervik
- Wed NOV 07 Stockholm, SWEDEN Fasching
- Thu NOV 08 Malmö, SWEDEN Inkonst
Astral Drive‘s self titled album, and new video, is out now! Astral Drive is songwriter and producer Phil Thornalley’s vision of a long lost album from the 1970s, that only existed in his own mind. A labour of love that is very much the statement of a lifelong music fan living in the modern world.
He may not be a household name but many of the records he’s made with artists as diverse as The Cure, XTC, Psychedelic Furs, The Jam, Duran Duran, Paul McCartney, and Natalie Imbruglia (he produced and co-wrote her worldwide smash “Torn”) certainly hold a special place in the hearts and ears of millions.
Astral Drive features guest contributions from Utopia’s Kasim Sulton, drummer Mickey Curry, keyboardist Gary Breit, and guitarist Keith Scott, with portrait photography by Bryan Adams.
As Phil says, “If you like trippy melodic rock with soulful harmony vocals and positive lyrics, step into the warm and welcoming sunshine of Astral Drive. Just don’t forget your space suit“.
Summer of ’76 video credits:
Director: Ollie Rillands
Producer: David Smith
Production Company: Shapeshifter Films
Lead Male Actor: Daniel Watson
Lead Female Actor: Lucy Marie Curry
Older Male Actor: John Watson
Summer is here and the new video from David Myhr’s album ‘Lucky Day‘ is out! The kick-ass ‘My Negative Friend’ was co-written with label-mate Young Hines and recorded with co-producers Brad Jones and Andreas Dahlbäck in Nashville, who also feature in the video.
hats off to the things you don’t say
so what’s up with the side eye?
spent so long trying to get along trying to please you
trying to tease out all the details
from the sad straight notions that just all seem wrong
I defy interpretation
I am not participating in it
pick on someone else your own size
go prey on some stranger passing by
hats off to the things you don’t say
so what’s up with the side eye?
my sad minds searching overtime for a reason
you suspiciously incorporate some far-fetched fiction
you find so sublime but it’s too late to reject
and it’s an insult to the fact checkers
David Myhr has revealed the details of bonus tracks included on the CD version of his new album Lucky Day. CD listeners have been surprised to find FOUR exclusive tracks at the end of the album:
- “Military Madness”, originally by Graham Nash,
- ““My Messed Up Friend”, originally by Lucky Day album co-producer Brad Jones,
- “Somewhere In My Heart”, originally by Aztec Camera,
- “Spellbound” the original recording, featured in the 2016 Swedish feature film “Flykten till Framtiden” (“My Future Love”)
Lucky Day is out now no Lojinx CD, digital and 180g vinyl LP.
If only there were some way to shut out all this noise in my head
Oh wait there already is, it’s called McCafferty’s Bib
Lojinx is thrilled to welcome Astral Drive and introduce to you the first single “Summer of ’76”.
From the upcoming self-titled album on Lojinx, Astral Drive is songwriter and producer Phil Thornalley’s vision of a long lost album from the 1970s that only existed in his own mind. A labour of love that is very much the statement of a lifelong music fan living in the modern world.
The self-titled Astral Drive album will be released on the 6th of July and is available for pre-order now.