El May performing “Took It On The Mouth” at Sofar Los Angeles
Archive Tag: el may
Lara Meyerratken, aka El May, is an Australian singer-songwriter. Her style features melodic songwriting and mellow rock instrumentation with folk roots. Other artists that can be heard on her station include The Bird And The Bee, Patsy Cline, and Feist. She came by with musicians Scott Heiner and Scott Letty and played “Lessons Appear” off her latest album The Other Person Is You.
A new video from El May, here’s an acoustic version of Thrills, from The Other Person Is You.
Live at Cambridge Junction – 25th September 2014
El May at Bristol Trinity last night (19/9/2014)
Here’s El May winning hearts & minds in Gateshead last night (photo by Hannah Meyerratken).
Released today, El May’s “The Other Person Is You”! On tour in the UK supporting The Pierces, starting tomorrow in Edinburgh:
- 16th Sept – The Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh
- 17th Sept – Sage 2, Gateshead
- 18th Sept – Le Pub, Newport (solo headline)
- 19th Sept – Trinity Centre, Bristol
- 20th Sept – The Leadmill, Sheffield
- 21st Sept – Academy 2, Manchester
- 23rd Sept – O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, London
- 24th Sept – Glee Club, Birmingham
- 25th Sept – Cambridge Junction
- 27th Sept – Academy 2, Liverpool
- 28th Sept – The Rescue Rooms, Nottingham
- 30th Sept – Green Note Basement, London (solo headline)
El May UK Tour dates!
- 16 SEP 2014 The Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh (supporting The Pierces)
- 17 SEP 2014 The Sage Gateshead, Gateshead (supporting The Pierces)
- 18 SEP 2014 Le Pub, Newport
- 19 SEP 2014 Trinity Centre, Bristol (supporting The Pierces)
- 20 SEP 2014 Leadmill, Sheffield (supporting The Pierces)
- 21 SEP 2014 Manchester Academy 2 (supporting The Pierces)
- 23 SEP 2014 Shepherds Bush Empire (supporting The Pierces)
- 24 SEP 2014 Glee Club, Birmingham (supporting The Pierces)
- 25 SEP 2014 The Junction, Cambridge (supporting The Pierces)
- 27 SEP 2014 O2 Academy Liverpool (supporting The Pierces)
- 28 SEP 2014 Rescue Rooms, Nottingham (supporting The Pierces)
- 30 SEP 2014 Green Note Basement, London
We’re in that two-week grace period following the Notting Hill carnival that permits white middle-class people to enjoy steel drums, so El May’s I Played A Role has picked the right week to come out in the UK. It’s all summery keyboards, breathy vocals and, yes, drums of steel. The video sees El May (real name Lara Meyerratken) running around New York, insisting that hot strangers listen to her song and dance to it. That wouldn’t work here: imagine a pop star trying to get British people to dance, spontaneously, on camera, in public? We’d all disintegrate through embarrassment.